This award will be granted to a CILT member, or an ally recommended by a CILT member, who produced an outstanding piece of writing related to raising public awareness of a disability issue or barrier. Award recipient will receive a Lifetime Membership at CILT, and a cash prize of $200. Current employees of CILT cannot apply.
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 24th, 2021 by 5:00 pm
- One (1) published piece of writing (published on a website, blog, open letter to the editor or in a journal, newsletter or magazine);
- Submission must be in English or French;
- Minimum 700 words; maximum 3000 words;
- Addresses at least one (1) disability issue or barrier;
- Please complete the linked application form.
- Please print or include a digital link of your published piece with your application.
- Please include a personal statement describing the published piece, including its significance to the disability community and your interest in the topic.
- Personal Statement: 1 page, single-spaced, 12-point font, Arial, 2.5 cm margins
- Please include one (1) letter of reference or support from a CILT member (only applicable to those applicants who are not CILT members upon applying).
Submit your completed application by mail or email to:
Centre for Independent Living in Toronto
365 Bloor St. E, Suite 902
Toronto, Ontario, M4W 3L4
- Lifetime Membership at CILT; and,
- Cash prize of $200.
Following the submission deadline, members of the CILT Board of Directors will strike an adjudicating committee and review and evaluate the applications. The award recipient will be notified by email by October 8, 2021. The award recipient will also be announced during CILT’s Annual General Meeting.
Only completed application packages will be reviewed by the adjudicating committee. Please ensure all documents are received by submission deadline date and that all digital links are printed correctly and working.
The successful applicant will be asked to sign a written agreement acknowledging the receipt of the award.
Unless otherwise specified, a cheque will be sent to the mailing address recipients provided on the application form.
Applicants are eligible for Helen Henderson Literary Award only once.
All results are final.