Canada has a New Minister of Sport and Persons with Disabilities, Minister Carla Qualtrough.
The Minister’s overarching goal will be “to promote healthier Canadians through sport and recreation, and to ensure greater accessibility and opportunities for Canadians with disabilities.”
The Minister’s four top priorities are to:
- Lead an engagement process with provinces, territories, municipalities, and stakeholders that will lead to the passage of a Canadians with Disabilities Act;
- Work with the Minister of Infrastructure and Communities to deliver on our commitment to support the construction of recreational infrastructure that allows more children access to sport and recreation;
- Work with the Minister of Health and the Public Health Agency of Canada to support a national strategy to raise awareness for parents, coaches, and athletes on concussion treatment;
- Work with the Minister of Canadian Heritage to include sport and recreation in championing government-wide efforts to promote the celebration of Canada 150, with a particular emphasis on celebrating the achievements of athletes and persons with disabilities;
- Lead preparations for the 2016 Rio Olympics and Paralympics and future international sporting events;
- and Create greater links between our elite athletes and young Canadians to promote health and achievement among youth.