SERVICE AREA: Community/Family Support Services
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Supervisor, Griffin Centre and the Youth Outreach Program Coordinator for the North Quadrant
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Funded by the Ministry of Children and Youth Services, we are hiring two Youth Outreach Workers to empower youth, families and groups in the Westminster Branson community to take action on the issues affecting their lives, including health, education, unemployment, and the community environment.
The Youth Outreach Workers will be responsible for connecting with youth where they are in the community, addressing immediate needs, and providing advice and access to resources in the Westminster Branson and broader community.
The goals of this new service are to address the issue of escalating youth violence, facilitate access for marginalized youth to a continuum of prevention, early intervention and diversion resources to meet their needs, and to contribute to the development of healthy communities that are positive places for young people to live, learn and work. The service will be provided within a strength and asset based model that encompasses an understanding of oppression, poverty and diversity.
- CYW/Social Services diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Experience working with at risk youth, and ability to assess client needs
- An understanding and knowledge of issues such as diversity, street gangs, violence, substance abuse, racism and harassment as they relate to youth, and the ability to deal with these issues as they arise
- Knowledge of specific problems and issues, service needs, perspectives and living style patterns of youth in general, high risk youth, gang prone and/or street involved or gang involved youth
- Knowledge of public, private, and community resources and program services available to youth in the Westminster Branson and broader community
- Proven skills in conflict de-escalation and conflict resolution
- Experience in community development and an ability to effectively interact with various community organizations including community or neighbourhood associations, school groups, churches and other segments of the community
- Self starter, ability to work well independently as well as in a team
- Demonstrated communication (verbal/written) skills, as well as interpersonal skills
- Second language, as well as knowledge of the Russian, Filipino, Jewish, or Korean communities an asset
- Male worker preferred as role model for working with youth in the community
Fax resume and covering letter (quoting file number I/E74-06) to: Human Resources, Griffin Centre, 416-222-1321 or email email@example.com (quoting file number I/E74-06 in the subject line) by Monday, July 24.