Fred Victor Centre is a not-for-profit, community-based organization that has assisted homeless, low-income, and marginalized adults in downtown Toronto for over 100 years. We work in partnership with people from diverse backgrounds who face poverty, mental health issues, addictions, and/or social isolation to address their needs and hopes. The Centre has an environment that is racially, ethnically, and socially diverse and characterized by respect, choice, and inclusion.
The Position: The Relief Job Search Support / Intake Worker is responsible for providing front line job search information, resources, and services to homeless, low-income, and marginalized men, women, and transgendered/transsexual adults through high quality, structured access to communication tools (e.g., computers, fax, phone), workshops, and individual assistance. The position does not guarantee scheduled hours. Relief staff are called for shifts on an ad hoc basis and filled on an individual’s availability.
The Relief Job Search Support Worker/Intake Worker is the specialist in assisting people to conduct an active job search with appropriate resources through individual support and workshop facilitation. The Relief Job Search Support Worker/Intake will act in a cooperative manner as part of the ERC team and be proactive in conflict resolution. Physically, the Relief Job Search Support Worker/Intake Worker works indoors in a large office space that is wheelchair accessible. The job primarily involves sitting at a computer and interacting with other staff, volunteers, and community members. There are no physical requirements regarding loading, lifting, or bending beyond those reasonably expected in an office setting. Must be able to work evenings and weekends.
• The Relief Job Search Support Worker/Intake Worker position requires a self-motivated individual with strong organizational skills.
• Excellent knowledge of adult training, employment resources, job search strategies, labour market trends, and community supports.
• Previous experience working with computers, relevant software (e.g., Microsoft Office, Windows 98/XP, WordPerfect, WinWay Resume), the Internet, and related technology.
• Membership in and/or fluency in another language/culture an asset.
• Experience working with ethnically and racially diverse communities, transgender/transsexual, and/or disabled communities an asset.
• Previous customer service and conflict resolution experience.
• Demonstrated ability to facilitate workshops an asset.
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written skills.
• Strong ability to work as part of a team.
• Experience working with homeless, low-income, and marginalized men, women, and transgender/transsexual adults and an understanding of issues of poverty and discrimination facing this community required.
Hourly rate: $14.78 -16.54 per hour plus 6% vacation pay
Apply in writing by 5PM Tuesday October 31, 2006 to:
Employment & Training Hiring Committee
Fred Victor Centre
100 Lombard St, #102
Toronto, ON, M5C 1M3