Do you have limited mobility but want to explore the beaches at Woodbine, Ashbridge’s Bay or Kew-Balmy? Toronto Parks, Forestry & Recreation has two beach wheelchairs available for free short-term loan this summer.
What are beach wheelchairs?
- They have large balloon tires, allowing easy movement over dry or wet sand and along the water’s edge.
- They come equipped with an umbrella.
- They require assistance – beach wheelchair users need a helper to push the chair and assist with transfers and personal care.
- They are designed for use on land only, though they can be pushed through no more than 15 centimetres (6 inches) of water.
- They can be borrowed for up to 2 hours per visit.
- They are available during beach lifeguard hours.
To borrow a beach wheelchair:
- Reserve a chair up to 24 hours in advance by calling (416) 392-7688.
- A second chair is available on a first-come, first-serve basis at Donald D. Summerville Outdoor Pool, 1675 Lake Shore Blvd. East (foot of Woodbine Ave.) – vehicle access is via Queen St. East / Kippendavie Ave. / Kew Beach Ave.
- Dates and times available in 2008:
- June 14 to 25: weekends, 11.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.; Monday to Friday, 4.00 p.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- June 26 to August 31: every day, 11.30 a.m. to 6.30 p.m.
- Exchange your mobility aid for a beach chair at the Donald Summerville Pool reception area (accessible washrooms available).
- Remember to bring a buddy to push the chair.
- Be sun safe and be prepared to have fun on the beach!